1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

PLYMOUTH TOWNSHIP POLICE DEPARTMENT HISTORY

Plymouth Township, which is 8.37 square miles in size, is one of the oldest townships in Montgomery County, dating back to 1686.  The earliest village, Plymouth Meeting, was the home of the Plymouth Meeting House which still stands today as a symbol of the township's history.  Plymouth Township is bordered by Whitpain Township, East Norriton Township, Whitemarsh Township, Norristown Borough and Conshohocken Borough.

The Police Department was established in 1951 when Harry J. Snear became the first Police Chief. Today the Department is a modern, accredited agency with 46 full-time police officers, serving a population of 16,000 residents. Since 1951 the Plymouth Township Police Department has had a total of six Police Chiefs, five past and the current Police Chief.  We remember and honor those past and present Chiefs who have served so diligently. Their efforts over the past decades have contributed to what the Plymouth Township Police Department is today. 

 

 

 

 

Chief Harry Snear
March 1951
Died August 1954

Chief Vito J. Fusco
October 1954-May 1980
Died June 1993

Chief John Volpe
June 1980-May 1989
Died June 1997

 

 

 

Chief Joseph R Cross
June 1989-September 2000
Died July 2001

Chief Carmen D Pettine
September 2001-July 2008 

Chief Joseph F Lawrence
August 2008